We’re going to let you in on a few little staging secrets that can make a HUGE difference! If You follow the INhance IT! Facebook page, you get to see before and after photos of our current clients’ homes. A comment we hear repeatedly is:
“That doesn’t even look like the same space! It looks bigger!”
Even the homeowners are in shock when they see the rooms after they’ve been “INhanced”, because they feel more open and spacious! Although we can’t give all our knowledge in one post, we’re going to share a few tips that you can use in your own home.
Contouring Like A Pro
We’ve all heard of professional makeup artists using highlighting and shading techniques to contour faces, giving their clients a chiseled jaw line, the perfect nose bridge, and sky-high cheekbones, but did you realize optical illusions can be applied to your home?
- Keep colors light and bright- Interior walls that are painted too dark can often give the feeling that a room is closing in on you, to counteract that we suggest picking lighter paint shades. The room below was fully staged, but if you focus just on the paint color, you can see what a huge difference it makes, it really is night and day!
- Float Your Furniture- In theory, it makes sense to assume a room would appear larger if you put ALL the furniture against the walls, that makes everything more open, right? Wrong, in fact it’s the opposite! By floating your furniture in the space, you create more depth and direct the flow pattern of traffic. Check out the lovely furniture arrangement below, both couches are floating while being anchored by a complimentary toned area rug, and as a result, the room is even more spacious and inviting!
- Keep them simple, don’t overdo it with bold patterns, we always suggest you bring your bold looks in with accessories, not the staples in the room.
- Simple Window Treatments- Plenty of sunlight is great for showing a home, in fact, many of our model homes don’t have window treatments at all, but if you must cover your windows, we suggest two tips:
- Raise your rod to the ceiling, this gives the illusion of tall windows and lifted ceilings by adding up to a foot or so of fabric and drawing the eyes upward.
The Pictures below show the same room, would you have ever known how large and grand that front window is? This was such a beautiful space to work on!
- Put Down the Jack Hammer, and Back away!
As you can see, when optical illusions are done correctly, the result is often a completely new look without having to knock out walls or raise any ceilings! It’s important to know that some of these tips can backfire if they aren’t the right fit for your space, if you’re getting ready to list your home, we suggest you call us first. For more information on our staging services, contact us at 314-486-5354!